My 2018 Bookish Resolutions {Top Ten Tuesday}

180116 TTT 2018 Bookish Resolutions

Hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
Post header background: Designed by Molostock / Freepik

Hi everybody, and welcome to a new Top Ten Tuesday! Today is all about those bookish resolutions.

Now, I do love me some resolutions, but after my huge 2017 reading and blogging slumps, my major goal for 2018 is to take it easy. To avoid another slump at all costs. This means I am not taking part in any reading challenges yet, and am setting my Goodreads goal lower as well. And it is noticeable in my resolutions below. Other than my Goodreads goal, I’m keeping all of this kind of vague and balancing them with resolutions to not worry about those resolutions. It kind of makes sense though, I promise!

Reading goals:

rapunzel-books

1. Read 60 books total in 2018

In 2016 I set my goal at 60 books and easily surpassed it with about 12 books. In 2017 I set my goal a bit higher at 75 books and hardly got to 60 because of a major reading slump. And even if this was only a number, it demotivated me to have Goodreads remind me I was behind schedule. So in 2018 I’m taking it a bit easier and putting my goal back at 60. Still a nice goal to reach for, but less stressful.

2. Catch up with my backlist

Isn’t this always a major goal for most bookworms? I mean, I’d love to keep up with new releases, but what I’d love more is to get some of those older books of my list, the ones I’ve been talking about starting forever already. I’m thinking about pretty much all the books from last week’s Top Ten Tuesday, but rest assured there are more where those came from.

3. Pick up a book on a whim more often

I don’t do this enough. I tend to rely on other bloggers and reviewers so much when it comes to picking up a book to the point where I won’t even pick up a book at the store if the title doesn’t ring a bell from a review or blog post. And I could be missing out on a lot of hidden gems that way. So the goal is to just go with the flow and if a book sounds like something for me I’ll just pick it up without having checked Goodreads.

4. Read more diversely and #ownvoices

This is so important and I want to pay special mind to it this year. I want to read more diversely, butΒ I mostly also want to pay more attention to supporting #ownvoices authors.

5. Get acquainted with graphic novels and mangas

I’ve been saying I want to do this for years now, though I’ve always been a bit worried about where to start. But fellow bloggers have already recommended quite a few nice graphic novels and mangas, and I just need to dive in. Any recommendations are of course still always welcome.

6.Β Follow my mood

And this goal goes kind of directly against the previous ones, and yet I feel like it’s the most important one: follow my mood. Meaning if the book I want to be reading does not fit any of the above categories, but I feel like reading it? I’ll just read it. Meaning if my backlist mostly consists of fantasy, but I want to be reading that new contemporary release? I will read that one. Meaning if I don’t want to be reading right now, but watch Netflix instead? I’ll watch Netflix. So mostly: no pushing myself.

Blogging goals:

blogging

7. Work a bit more in advance

I don’t think I’ll ever be one of those amazing bloggers who work months in advance (if you are one: I admire you greatly). I’ve been trying to for 2 years already and I can work about a week in advance, and that’s it. But I’m trying to work just a bit more in advance. If I can get to two weeks, I’m a happy camper (and hey, I’m actually writing this post during Christmas break so yay! Let’s see if I can keep it up thoughout the year though…)

8. Bloghop more often

For me, the heart of blogging is commenting and bloghopping. But lately, I feel like I have to scramble just to get replies back to the people who comment on my posts and hardly get to bloghop and comment myself. And I feel so guilty about that, because reading all your posts inspires and motivates me. So in 2018, I’ll try to be better about bloghopping regularly!

9. Don’t worry about the numbers

I tell myself this often, but it’s necessary to keep repeating it, because looking at those numbers is oh so tempting. But it’s also a surefire way tp get demotivated and burned out. I’m always gonna want more followers, more views, more likes, more comments, but I need to remember, that A) this is not a job but a hobby, B) I prefer to interact closely with a few followers than barely interact with a large following and C) I’m doing this for fun and numbers are too stressful and not what makes me happiest about blogging anyway.

In general:

justwanttohavefun

10.Β Have fun

When it comes to reading AND blogging, this is the main rule for me for 2018. Reading and blogging is something I do for fun, and the moment it starts to feel like it isn’t bringing me joy, is the moment I need to take a step back and take a break, without guilt… This blog and sharing the love of books is what makes me happy and no matter what goals or resolutions I set for myself, what matters most is that it keeps on making me happy.

What are your bookish resolutions for 2018? Do we have some in common?

58 thoughts on “My 2018 Bookish Resolutions {Top Ten Tuesday}

What a fun list, Lindsey! Love that last one: HAVE FUN! That is so important in this blogging community.

Getting things done more in advance AND picking up books on a whim are both things/places I’d like to find myself in for 2018 too. It makes the blogging life (and reading!) even more fun. Also, blog hopping. I love doing this, but don’t get around to it as often as I’d like. Perhaps 2018 will be the year we both accomplish this.

Wise words re: blogging numbers –> “I prefer to interact closely with a few followers than barely interact with a large following”

Happy 2018, Lindsey – and best of luck with your goals! πŸ™‚
    Rissi recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday | Let’s Get Organized (aka the List in Which I share all of my This-Is-What-I’d-Like-To-Do Goals)My Profile

Yes, it’s so easy to get caught up in everything and forget to have fun and I need to remind myself of that sometimes πŸ™‚ And hopefully working more in advance will help with that and make the blog hopping easier as well πŸ™‚ Thanks Rissi!

2. Annemieke says:

Great goals. Sometimes we do need years of taking things easier. And having fun is the most important bit. I know what you mean when it comes to blog hopping. I’ve been struggling since December to keep up with replying to comments and visiting other blogs. And my scheduling ahead has been suffering as a result. Still working on February (yes I am one of those. πŸ˜‰ )
    Annemieke recently posted…TTT #125 – Low Pressure Goals for 2018My Profile

Definitely, this is supposed to be fun and I’d rather keep my goals low and reachable than stress myself out πŸ™‚
      Oh, I am so in awe of your blog scheduling skills! Hopefully I’ll get there too someday πŸ˜‰

I’m not doing any challenges either, at least not yet. It’s kinda nice to not have to worry about it! Picking up books on a whim is a great one- I want to do more of that as well. And read more graphic novels- I hardly read ANY last year! Good luck with your goals- I think having fun while doing this is the best part!!
    Greg recently posted…On the Run Part 17My Profile

Yeah I love challenges but I feel the need to keep it simple this year and just go with my mood. Though I say that now, until I’ll come across a challenge that just sounds too awesome to pass up and there I go again πŸ™‚

4. Louise says:

The one to pick up more book on a whim is a great resolution. It’s so easy to get caught up in what everyone else is reading and reviewing, and forget that you’ve got your own tastes and interests too.
    My TTT

5. Angela says:

I want to catch up on my backlist, too, so I joined a challenge that would help me with that. I need to stop worrying about the numbers, too. I compare myself to bigger bloggers all the time, and it can get me down. But when I think about it, I have more readers than I ever expected, so I should be proud of that!

I did the Beat The Backlist challenge last year and had some fairly good results so I definitely think it’s a great way to catch up on the backlist! And you’re so right, it’s never a good thing to compare yourself to bigger bloggers. I love your blog and you should definitely be proud of what you’ve accomplished!

6. Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books says:

I am SO with you on the backlist. That is my #1 goal of all goals this year!!! Also, we have very similar reading goals πŸ™‚ It’s so nice to see someone who reads around 50-70 books per year. I feel like everyone else is always able to read 150ish and it makes me feel so slow.

Happy 2018!! And good luck on your fabulous goals!!
    Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday– 2018 Books I’m Looking Forward ToMy Profile

Yes that backlist always tends to get a little neglected, but no more! πŸ™‚ Oh yes I totally relate to that! I’d love to be able to read over 100 books a year, but I’d rather keep it realistic for me and enjoy my reading πŸ™‚ Thanks so much and happy 2018 to you too!

7. Sarah says:

Yay for Fun! That’s really what books and blogging should all be about πŸ™‚ And I totally understand lowering your reading goal. I haven’t lowered mine so much as wiped it from existence lol – and so I’ve already reached my 2018 goodreads goal of one book! Huzzah! I just felt the pressure to read took away the joy – and it prevented me from doing so many other things like working on my own writing!

Otherwise good luck with all your goals! Also the first Manga I ever read was Fruits Basket – it’ll always have a special place in my heart and I think you might enjoy that one. Its real world fantasy πŸ™‚

Haha I was wondering whether or not to do that with my Goodreads goal as well! It’s definitely important to focus on the joy of reading and not put too much pressure on ourselves. It’s should indeed be about fun πŸ™‚
      I’ll have to check out Fruit Basket so thanks for the tip!

8. Jo says:

Great goals Lindsey! I totally get you with the GR challenge, it is totally demotivating when it reminds you how behind you are. I always start with a goal much lower than what I actually expect to reach, then I can put it up through the year, I’ve found that’s worked really well for me the past few years and allows for slumps. I am also always trying to catch up on my backlist!
    Jo recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #142My Profile

I love your goals so much! I also set my goal to 60 books last year and surpassed it, but this year I kept it at 60 books, because I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself. I also want to read more backlist titles πŸ™‚
    I’m hoping to keep on with my blogging planning habits, but… I can only plan one week in advance, I admire people able to plan out months in advance, that’s crazy hahaha.
    Best of luck for all of these and yes HAVE FUN πŸ˜€
    Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books recently posted…Why I don’t (really) do TBRsMy Profile

Yes, 60 books seems perfect for me, still challenging, but also realistic and not putting too much pressure on myself. If I don’t feel like reading one week, I won’t be too stressed about my goals πŸ™‚ And ahh yes I admire bloggers who can schedule months in advance! I try and get to two weeks max and then I’m super proud of myself but then procrastinate on blogging afterwards so I end up having to scramble to get my posts written afterwards again anyway πŸ™‚ But yes, it’s all about having fun most of all!

10. Gabby says:

It sounds like you’re set for a great year of reading! And until you mentioned it, I didn’t realize how much I’m in the same boat on “whim” books. Since I started seriously reading book blogs, I can’t think of something I’ve grabbed because it looked neat at the bookstore instead of because I’d seen it recommended somewhere. I used to LOVE scouring the shelves until something called out to me!
    Gabby recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Resolutions for 2018My Profile

11. Lauren @ Wonderless Reviews says:

Some of my main goals for this year too are to read more of my back list books!! I’m definitely always trying to read more diversely too. And yessss definitely read more graphic novels!!! I’m happy to help with any recommendations if you want πŸ˜€

Yes, the backlist and reading diversely are such huge goals which are also pretty much standard goasl for me. Graphic novels is new for me, but it’s a goal I’ve been procrastinating on for way too long! Ooh, if you could let me know you’re top 3 graphic novel recommendations (for a newbie), they would always be welcome! πŸ˜‰

12. Rebeccah @ The Pixie Chronicles says:

Great goals! I love how many of them have to tie in with not stressing out and getting back to having fun with reading and blogging. Because that’s what it really should be about! Why is there such a need to make hobbies so competitive and anxious? I put my Goodreads goal very low (10 books) because I just wanted to focus on my own pace and not getting upset because I didn’t read more.
    Rebeccah @ The Pixie Chronicles recently posted…6 Things to Remember if You’re a Slow WriterMy Profile

13. Lara @ Words WIth Lara says:

Awesome goals! I definitely want to try be bit more organised with my blogging too… I’m usually writing posts the day that I publish them so I want to try and schedule more. (lol probably not gonna happen but I’ll try). Have you read Saga? It’s the only graphic novel series that I’ve read, but I love it!! It’s slightly strange so you might not like it, but I’d totally recommend giving it a go! Good luck with all of your goals this year πŸ™‚
    Lara @ Words WIth Lara recently posted…Finally A Holiday || Many Mini Reviews and (maybe) A Holiday PicMy Profile

14. Rebecca says:

I had the same exact experience with your #1 but I cheated – I lowered by goal during the last week in December! Same numbers too! For #5, I highly suggest Persepolis. True story in graphic novel about a girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution in the 70s. Awesome list!

15. Di @ Book Reviews by Di says:

Hi!! It’s been ages I know, and I’m sorry! But I’m back at home now and have a few weeks to catch up so I’m visiting blogs and trying to reply two months worth of comments – which isn’t as bad as it sounds because I was mostly on hiatus and didn’t post a lot. 🀣

I missed you! Happy 2018!

I love your list of goals – it makes perfect sense to me and I agree with them all! I’m making some changes myself and hopefully I’ll be a better reader and blogger because of it… But who knows!? The main goal is to relax and enjoy.

I’ve also lowered my GR goal this year because it WAS awful to see how far behind I was all the time. And 2017 just started off on a bad foot by being behind so many books and then I never got to catch up really.

I hope you manage to stick to your resolutions and I can’t wait to catch up a little with you soon.
    Di @ Book Reviews by Di recently posted…5 Reasons to Read: The Red Winter Trilogy – Annette MarieMy Profile

Hi Di, I’m so happy to see you are back! Happy New Year! Missed you around the blogosphere too πŸ™‚
      Thanks so much! I think I stressed a bit too much last year and that is partly what caused my slump so I’m definitely trying to take it more easy this year and relax and enjoy. It’s the most important thing, right?
      Yeah Goodreads can be totally demotivating. I’m not yet ready to put my goal at like 1 book as some people do, but lowering it felt like a good start πŸ™‚
      Wish you all the best with your resolutions as well and I just saw you have a ‘5 Reasons to read the Red Winter trilogy’ post up so I’ll DEFINITELY be checking that out soon πŸ˜‰