The Best & The Worst Literary Dads And Father Figures {Top Ten Tuesday}

170613 TTT Dads

Hi guys, and welcome to a new Top Ten Tuesday!

In honor of Fathers’ Day, today is all about fictional dads. So let’s talk about some of the best and some of the worst dads (and father figures) in fiction!

BEST: ARTHUR Weasley (Harry Potter)

Arthur Weasley

Just like Molly is the quintessential mom, Arthur Weasley is the quintessential dad. He’s always there for his kids, even the ones that aren’t really his kids, like Harry and Hermione.

WORST: Valentine (The Mortal Instruments)

I’m no expert, but experimenting on your kids seems like a big no-no in parenting.

BEST: Mr. Bennet (Pride & Prejudice)

Taking care of all his daughters and even protecting them from their well-meaning but overbearing mother if necessary, Mr. Bennet kind of rocks.

WORST: Marcus Eaton (Divergent)

Marcus Eaton

If you are one of your kids’ worst fears, you may need to work on your parenting skills.

BEST: Luke Garroway (The Mortal Instruments)

Luke Garroway

Aww, Luke. Though he may not be their real dad, he’s always there for both Clary and Simon and I love him for it.

WORST: The King (Throne of Glass)

Does he even have a name? Probably, but I can’t say. Anyway, beheading your son’s girlfriend and letting a demon control him just earned you “Worst Dad of the Year” award.

BEST: Hans Hubermann (The Book Thief)

Hans Hubermann

Is there any better adoptive father-figure out there than Hans Hubermann? Cue the tears.

WORST: Gaius Damora (Falling Kingdoms)

Gaius, Gaius. You’re just so dramatic. Also, trying to kill your son’s wife or lying to your daughter and using her for her powers won’t make you endear yourself to them.

BEST: Sam Quintana (Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe)

Okay, all parents are amazing in this book, and though I love Ari’s dad as well, I just adore Dante’s dad that tiny bit more.

WORST: Stannis Baratheon (A Song of ICe and Fire)

Stannis Baratheon

Okay, first place for “Worst Dad of the Year” award actually needs to go to Stannis Baratheon. The world of Game of Thrones has a lot of crappy dads, but Stannis, you really take the cake. Poor Shireen.

who are some of your favorite fictional Fathers and Father Figures? ANd some of your least favorites?

48 thoughts on “The Best & The Worst Literary Dads And Father Figures {Top Ten Tuesday}

Arthur and Hans are amazing indeed <3 Yes, me too! I don't remember THAT much about Divergent as it's been a while since I read it, but I clearly remember my intense dislike for Marcus Eaton šŸ™‚

Haha, yes I thought this was gonna be a tricky topic because I couldn’t think of that many literary dads right away, but it turns out there are still plenty out there that I hadn’t even thought of either šŸ™‚

1. Yasmine says:

haha! Your commentary was great, and I 100% agree with them all. Mr. Bennet and Arthur made my list too, but I completely forgot about The Book Thief…oops.

Haha, thanks! šŸ™‚ When doing this post I had trouble coming up with ten dads, but when reading everyone else’s post I realized there are still so many I forgot about šŸ™‚

2. Sydney West says:

Valentine is def up there as one of the worst. Like what a butt munch. And Luke made my list of best fictional fathers as well. I loved the way he took care of Clary.

Thanks Marie! Arthur Weasley and Dante’s dad are both some amazing dads indeed. And I completely agree that we should definitely have more great parental relationships in books! It’s so important and the missing/uninvested parent trope is so annoying šŸ™‚

I’ve only read the first Harry Potter but I do see Mr. Weasley pop up quite a bit, he must be alright. šŸ™‚ And Mr. Bennet- great choice! Marcus though from Divergent- ugh what a creep. Forgot about him.

Stannis- yeah. I was horrified. That hasn’t happened in the books and I hope it doesn’t, but I’m not holding my breath…
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten Father’s Day FreebieMy Profile

Arthur Weasley is definitely quite alright! Though I absolutely adore the entire Weasley family, so he’s no exception šŸ™‚
      Ah, I kind of hope the books won’t go there with Stannis and Shireen because I’m still hoping for some kind of redemption for him there, but like you said, those chances are pretty slim…

Aww! I don’t even “know” these dads well, but agree with you!

From the TV show (haven’t read the books), I was loving Luke. He seemed like a great character, and like you, I appreciate that he has Clary as the priority (even when she doesn’t want it). Sticking with that world, YEAH! I’d say Valentine’s brand of parenting is a BIG NO-NO. Plus, let’s face it, he’s just plain CREEPY. ;D

Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland, Lindsey!
    Rissi recently posted…The Evaporation of Sofi Snow ā€“ Sci-Fi Gaming YA Novel Launches New SeriesMy Profile

Thanks so much Rissi! Yes, I think that the “parenting skills” of Luke and Valentine are pretty comparable between the show and the books, so you’re completely correct! Luke is such a great character, while Valentine is just creepy šŸ˜‰

5. Di @ Book Reviews by Di says:

OH MY GOODNESS yes to Stannis. That was totally horrific. It almost (almost) put me off the show! There’s been a few things in the show that I’m hoping won’t be replicated in the books. That and ‘Hold the Door’ being my top two.

I definitely need to read Falling Kingdoms.

I don’t think that the king from Throne of Glass even has a name… The King of Adarlan … Something Havilliard obviously!

And I agree with Mr. Bennet too! What an awesome dad.

Ugh, Valentine! So not a good father. šŸ™

And yes… Absolutely Arthur. Absolutely.

Super list as always!
    Di @ Book Reviews by Di recently posted…Blog Tour and Review: The Dragon Orb – Mike SheltonMy Profile

I haven’t actually read the Game of Thrones books yet (I know, I know, I really should and I have them on my shelf but for some reason I just keep procrastinating…), but I do indeed hope those two moments won’t happen in the books. The Stannis one is just pure horror and the ‘Hold The Door’ is just so unbelievably sad.
      I’d definitely recommend the Falling Kingdoms series! The last one is coming out in December so that would be a good time to binge-read if you’d want that šŸ™‚
      Haha, yes it would be something Havilliard šŸ™‚ I was thinking maybe I missed his name somewhere but I guess we were just never told!
      Mr. Bennet and Arthur Weasley are definitely the TOP amazing fictional dads out there! Valentine… definitely not.
      Thanks so much Di!

6. Preethi @ The Lone Reader says:

Aaaah I love Arthur, Mr. Bennet, and Luke! You picked some seriously amazing fathers! I’m trying to think of some other fictional fathers I love but it’s actually really hard. I can think up several mothers but not so much fathers…if father figures count though, I’d definitely count Sirius and Lupin from HP and Mr. Kadam from the Tiger’s Curse series.
    Preethi @ The Lone Reader recently posted…A Book That Caught My Eye: This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnisMy Profile

I know, it was really difficult to come up with ten amazing fathers or father figures so that’s why I ended up throwing a few terrible ones in there as well šŸ™‚ But you’re totally right about Sirius and Lupin, they’re both amazing! I haven’t read the Tiger’s Curse series yet, but I’ll be sure to check it out!