Books To Read If You Love Enemies-To-Lovers Romances {Top Ten Tuesday}

170214 TTT Romance Tropes

Hi guys, and welcome to a new Top Ten Tuesday! In case you didn’t know yet, here’s a confession: I am a big, sappy, hopeless romantic.

There. I said it. I love books with romance in it (as long as it doesn’t take over the story, has any instalove or annoying love triangles). I love romance tropes. Enemies-to-lovers, best friends-to-lovers, penpal romances, boy or girl-next-door romances, the fake date trope, the opposites attract trope. Give me them all, because I can keep reading about them forever.

BUT. Today I’d like to focus on one trope in particular and that is the enemies-to-lovers trope. I can’t help it, MOST of my favorite romances and OTP’s fall under this trope. So let’s get started!

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

the-hating-game-by-sally-thorne

Let’s start off the list with what may be the only contemporary novel on the list, but was definitely one of my top ten reads of 2016. The story of Lucy and Josh was so much fun, sweet and swoon-worthy. Two office nemeses trying to get the same promotion – what could go wrong?

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

SIMON X BAZ 4 EVA! No seriously, this book is so much fun. Imagine a Harry Potter-like world, where Harry and Draco room together and Draco is a vampire. Oh, and totally in love with Harry. Except this story becomes so much more and Simon and Baz are completely their own characters and you can’t help but fall in love with them and their interactions.

The Winner’s trilogy by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

Prepare to fall in love with the story of Kestrel and Arin! Kestrel is the daughter of the General, in a world where her nation has conquered and enslaved another nation. One day, she ends up buying a slave named Arin at an auction. Swoony, forbidden romance enseus and it becomes so much more.

The Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi unravel-me-by-tahereh-mafi Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

I know this series has been out for a while, but I’m still not sure how much I can say about it without spoiling too much. BUT, know that this series has one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE OTP’s. They are the best and I loved watching their relationship develop and their own character development because of it.

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

of-fire-and-stars-by-audrey-coulthurst

I may have had a few issues with this book, but the romance? OMG, the romance was so well-done! Kudos for a fantasy standalone where the princess falls in love with the sister of the prince she is betrothed to. Also, they really don’t like eachother at first, hence the enemies-to-lovers.

The Captive Prince trilogy by C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat Prince's Gambit by C.S. Pacat Kings Rising by C.S. Pacat

Warning: this series is very graphic and features scenes of violence, sex and rape. Mature adiences only.

Though this is a pretty violent and graphic m/m fantasy series, I absolutely adore it and especially the relationship between Damen and Laurent. Starting of as natural enemies from two nations at war, the story starts as Damen, prince of Akielos, gets betrayed and sent as an anonymous pleasure slave to Laurent, prince of Vere. What starts of as a dangerous and treacherous situation, soon morphs in something beautiful as we watch Damen and Laurent slowly (very slowly) go from enemies, to reluctant partners-in-crime, to comrades-in-arms, to friends, to something more. My favorite ever enemies-to-lovers story.

The Under the Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi Into The Still Blue by Veronica Rossi

This is an amazing little dystopian that I feel got a little buried underneath all the Hunger Games and Divergent hype, but that doesn’t make it any less awesome! In a world where dangerous storms have wiped out most of humanity, there are only two groups left: those who spend all their life inside a dome, with only virtual reality to keep them from going insane of boredom, and the clans, who are still trying to suvive on the outside. When Aria, a life-long dome-girl, suddenly finds herself outside, she has to form an unlikely alliance with the “wild” Perry to survive.

The Red Winter trilogy by Annette Marie

red-winter-by-annette-marie Dark Tempest by Annette Marie

This is currently my new favorite fantasy / romance and Emi and Shiro are my new OTP! Yes, it’s that good. Get ready for a gorgeous Japanese mythology fantasy! Emi is a Kamigakari, a vessel for an immortal goddess. In only a few short weeks the goddess will inhabit Emi’s body and Emi will cease to exist. But one day she rescues a fox. This fox turns out to be a kitsune, which is a yokai, or an earthly spirit and an enemy of the goddess Emi will soon host. Epic adventures and a swoony slow-burn enemies-to-lovers romance ensues. I am impatiently awaiting the third and final book in the series, which should be out in March this year.

The A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

Again, I don’t want to spoil too much for those who haven’t read it yet, but this fae Beauty and the Beast retelling features another one of my all-time favorite OTP’s. Especially book two, A Court of Mist and Fury is absolutely glorious and swoon-worthy. One of the best enemies-to-lovers romances out there.

The Wrath and the Dawn duology by Renee Ahdieh

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh

A gorgeous story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights! Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Every day, he takes a new bride and she never survives until the next day. When Sharzhad’s best friend becomes one of his victims, she volunteers to be his next bride and plans her revenge. This story is absolutely gorgeous and breath-taking and a must-read.

The Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking

Switched by Amanda Hocking Torn by Amanda Hocking Ascend by Amanda Hocking

This is a trilogy featuring trolls, which admittedly, doesn’t sound very romantic. But it is! This story features an enemies-to-lovers romance that had me swooning big-time.

The Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

A gorgeous romance in the middle of an impossible heist? Yes, it’s possible and it is glorious! There are several romances in this in fact, but Nina and Matthias own my enemies-to-lovers-trope loving heart!

Do you love the enemies-to-lovers trope? Does this list contain any of your OTP’s? And do you have any other suggestions for the lover of the enemies-to-lovers trope?

44 thoughts on “Books To Read If You Love Enemies-To-Lovers Romances {Top Ten Tuesday}

1. Prabhleen says:

I am in a difficult place here…. Since well I gave both Shatter Me and ACOTAR 1 star??? glad to know of some more recs, since this is my favourite trope of ever!!! Plus the Winners trilogy is one I have heard tons of, and Draco being in love with Harry? BRING IT ON. (I dunno I just want to read gay romance after Yuri!! On Ice lol the after effects??)
    Prabhleen recently posted…FANTASTIC BEASTS-MOVIE AND SCREENPLAY REVIEW, OH AND ANOTHER BOOK HAUL… I HAVE A PROBLEMMy Profile

Aww sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy Shatter Me or ACOTAR. But that’s okay because everybody has different opinions πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ OMG, I totally understand about the Yuri On Ice after effects πŸ˜€ I think you might really love Carry On then, Simon and Baz are definitely in my top OTP’s, together with Victuri πŸ˜‰

2. Yvonne says:

Great list! Argh, I’m so behind on YA nowadays, but I like a good enemies – to – lovers plot. *Literally adds all the books on your list to Goodreads TBR pile* πŸ˜€

A friend keeps recommending ‘Shatter Me’. Seeing it on your list, too, I’m thinking I need to bump it higher on the pile.

Thanks! Happy to add to the ever-growing TBR pile πŸ˜‰
      Oh, I’d definitely recommend Shatter Me too! It’s a hit-or-miss kind of series, but I really enjoyed it (especially books two and three). Hope you’ll enjoy!

3. Lori says:

I’m not always a fan of enemies to lovers. It has to be done just right. I loved Kestrel and Arin, Nina and Matthias, and Shazi and Khalid. Fantastic list, Lindsey!

4. Bill @ Billbrarian says:

Six of Crows was awesome. I have Crooked Kingdom on my shelf coming up but I have a couple of review copies to read first. Shatter Me was really good too and I haven’t read any of the rest of them yet either. This is a great list. I’ll have to check several of these out.

This list is reminding me ALL OVER AGAIN of all the amazing books/series I’ve yet to read. This includes the ‘Winner’s’ books (those covers though!), and of course Leigh’s ‘Crow’ duo. I’m especially curious about those books. πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Lindsey – and fun list! Love the topic.
    Rissi recently posted…Love at First Glance (2017) – Learn About Love and Living a β€˜Worthwhile Life’My Profile

I love love LOVE your choices there! <3 Enemies to lovers is one trope I enjoy reading about, it's always so much fun to see the feelings grow and change over time. I really want to read The Hating Game, after hearing so many wonderful things about this book – I think it might be right up my alley, I need to buy it sometime soon πŸ™‚ And yay for The Wrath and The Dawn <3
    Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books recently posted…My blogger aestheticsMy Profile

Yes, watching the (slow) development and changing of the feelings is one of my main reasons why I love this trope so much πŸ™‚ Oh, I definitely hope you’ll enjoy The Hating Game, it is one of my faves <3

7. Melissa (Books and Things) says:

I think we have close to the same taste in romance. I do hate a tstl heroine and insta-love, but I have read a few (very few) where the triangle worked. I still don’t gravitate toward that one however. What you have listed above are romances I do think I would enjoy. What I haven’t read, you just put on my radar… especially Red Winter Trilogy and the Captive Prince. I hadn’t heard of those. I also think there are a few I need to catch up on! So many books… πŸ˜€
    Melissa (Books and Things) recently posted…The Rising by Heather Graham and Jon LandMy Profile

8. Puput @ Sparkling Letters says:

YESSSS I love The Winner’s Trilogy, Under the Never Sky, and The Wrath and the Dawn, and Six of Crows so much!! I’m so happy because I rarely ever meet people who love TWC and Under the Never Sky hahah also Khalid & Shazi are definitely my OTP <3 also, also, do you subscribe to Leigh Bardugo's newsletter? Did you read the Nina Matthias' deleted scene? It made my day hahaha πŸ˜€
    Puput @ Sparkling Letters recently posted…Authors Whose Books I’ll Buy Without Even Caring What They Are AboutMy Profile

Haha yay for someone else who loves The Winner’s Curse and Under The Never Sky! It’s so true that those series seem to get a little less love than some other popular series. Oh and YES to the NIna/Matthias scene! I love them so much <3

9. Anisha @ Sprinkled Pages says:

OH MY GOD YOU INCLUDED SO MANY OF MY FAV SERIES IN THIS POST IM SCREAMING! I am a huge fan of the enemies to lovers trope, especially ones with the slow burn romance like Captive Prince, ACOMAF, The Winner’s Curse and TWATD!!! So glad to see we have the same tastes in books!

10. Nimika says:

First of all, the whole para in which you described your Hopeless Romanticism? That is SO frigging me, you have no idea.
    Also, I’ve considering reading Shatter Me for a long time but, every time, the love triangle holds me back. How bad is the LT? And is the book still worth it?

Ahh, so happy you could relate πŸ™‚ Always fun to meet a fellow hopeless romantic!
      I LOVED the Shatter Me trilogy, but it’s still a pretty flawed series that either hit or miss. There is a love triangle, though not that much in book one, more in the later books – I personally didn’t mind it that much though. I’d suggest to give it a try and I think it’s one of those books where you’ll find out pretty early on if it’s a book you’d like or not πŸ™‚