161115-ttt-movies

Welcome to a new Top Ten Tuesday! Today’s topic was a movie freebie and I decided to specify it a bit more by focusing on high school movies. Even more specific, high school movies from that time when I was in high school myself.

These are all movies that I may have watched hundreds of times. Sure, nowadays I may question my love for some of these movies. I know they are not super high quality, Oscar-worthy movies. They may be cheesy and predictable, but I can’t help but love them. They are still today my go-to feel-good movies.

So please join me on my trip to the past with these 10 movies!

10 Things I Hate About You

10-things-i-hate-about-you

A pretty, popular teenager can’t go out on a date until her ill-tempered older sister does.

How do I love this movie? Let me count the ways. The Shakespeare references. The great cast. The amazing chemistry between Julia Stiles and the late Heath Ledger. The humor. Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The soundtrack. <3

She’s All That

shes-all-that

A high school jock makes a bet that he can turn an unattractive girl into the school’s prom queen.

Ok, I do have several issues with the whole ugly-duckling-turns-into-gorgeous-girl-by-taking-of-her-glasses trope now, but back in 1999, I loved this so much.

Can’t Hardly Wait

cant-hardly-wait

Multicharacter teenage comedy about high school graduates on graduation night.

I feel like this movie kind of flew under the radar back when it was released but I loved the whole ‘One night / multiple characters’ concept. Plus, I had a crush on Seth Green back then so that also had something to do with me loving this movie.

Mean Girls

mean-girls

Cady Heron is a hit with The Plastics, the A-list girl clique at her new school, until she makes the mistake of falling for Aaron Samuels, the ex-boyfriend of alpha Plastic Regina George.

Is there any movie more quotable than Mean Girls? I don’t think so. On Wednesdays we wear pink!

Drive Me Crazy

drive-me-crazy

A high school girl must find a substitute date to escort her to the prom.

I’ve always been a sucker for the ‘opposites-attract’ trope and this movie was no exception.

What A Girl Wants

what-a-girl-wants

An American teenager learns that her father is a wealthy British politician running for office. Although she is eager to find him, she realizes it could cause a scandal and cost him the election.

A quirky main character, great parental figures and lots of London – this is what hooked me to this movie.

Clueless

clueless

A rich high school student tries to boost a new pupil’s popularity, but reckons without affairs of the heart getting in the way.

This one feels like it’s the classic High School Movie. It’s iconic and I just can’t not include this.

Whatever It Takes

whatever-it-takes

A modern-day remake of the Cyrano DeBergerac tale.

Cheesy? Yes. Predictable? Yes.
But I’m a sucker for the falling-love-with-your-best-friend trope and this is definitely one of those.

Bring It On

bring-it-on

A champion high school cheerleading squad discovers its previous captain stole all their best routines from an inner-city school and must scramble to compete at this year’s championships.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say I’ve seen this movie about a hundred times. Highly quotable and so funny.

Raise Your Voice

raise-your-voice

A girl from a small town heads to the big city of Los Angeles to spend the summer at a performing arts high school.

Confession time: I love Hilary Duff. I loved Lizzie Mcguire, I liked her music and I loved a lot of her movies. Raise Your Voice is one of them. Girl overcoming personal tragedy and following her dreams is another guilty pleasure trope for me.

How do you feel about high school movies? What is your go-to feel-good movie?

41 thoughts on “So Fetch — Favorite Nineties & Early 2000’s High School Movies {Top Ten Tuesday}

1. Jolien @ The Fictional Reader says:

This list is my life. I love all of these movies (aside from Can’t Hardly Wait because I haven’t seen that one). I love Hilary Duff too! She was my rock during high school, I love all of her movies. And Drive Me Crazy and She’s All That are soooooooo good too! Now I feel like I have to watch these again…
    Jolien @ The Fictional Reader recently posted…My #TomeTopple TBRMy Profile

That’s so great that you love all these movies too! And Hilary Duff πŸ™‚ I must say I don’t know any of her new music or her current tv show (I think it’s called Younger?) but I do want to check it out. And yes, seeing everyone’s lists this week is totally making me want to watch a ton of movies pretty much right now πŸ˜‰

Ooh fun topic. Bring It On is awesome, love that movie. Can’t Hardly Wait and Mean Girls too. Great picks. A couple of these I haven’t seen though, hmm. How did I miss She’s All That? I never saw 10 Things Either but I always liked Julia stiles. She had some good movies.
    Greg recently posted…Cover Characteristics On The RunMy Profile

3. Cait @ Paper Fury says:

I almost never watch these kinds of movies. XD Bahah, I’m such an addict to explosions and hardcore fighting movies…buuuut, I DO ADMIT MEAN GIRLS IS THE BEST. And it’s totally iconic. I mean, everyone has to see it at least once, right?!? There are so many references to it everywhere!! And I do want to see 10 Things I Hate About You because Heath Ledger is amazing. I looooved him in Ned Kelly, aka a movie that will thoroughly break your heart and make you cry. SO GOOD THO.
    Here’s my TTT!
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…Are Book-To-Movie Adaptions Good Or As Terrifying As Someone Stealing All The Cake Of the World and Ne’er Returning It?My Profile

Haha there are definitely no explosions or fight scenes in these movies (unless you’d count cat fights) πŸ˜‰ But Mean Girls is indeed an iconic movie! So many years later and it is still being referenced all the time, that’s pretty powerful πŸ™‚ Oh and I definitely recommend 10 Things – I even think it’s my favorite from the entire list! Heath Ledger is so amazing <3 Haven't seen Ned Kelly yet but I'll check it out.

So true, even when you’re not in highschool anymore, the overall themes are still pretty relevant! And even though I’m not in highschool anymore myself, I still love them for nostalgic reasons as well πŸ™‚

Glad you also love these movies! They make me feel nostalgic and always manage to cheer me up when needed πŸ™‚ Raise Your Voice and Whatever it Takes are definitely fun movies to watch and recommended if you like the rest of the list!

Mean Girls and What A Girl Wants are two of my absolute favorites, so I’m happy to hear you loved them πŸ™‚ If I could recommend one other movie from this list it would be 10 Things I Hate About You <3

4. Risa says:

I’ve seen a few of these long back. Ones that stand out — 10 things I hate about you & Clueless. Haven’t seen Mean Girls.

Very interesting list!

I totally understand! I don’t watch that many movies anymore either – that’s why the movies on this list are all over 10 years old πŸ™‚ If I watch one movie a month now it’s a lot, even though I still love movies – I just prefer reading now πŸ™‚ BUT YES, I AM TOTALLY WATCHING FANTASTIC BEASTS IN THE CINEMA TONIGHT AND I AM SUPER EXCITED! πŸ™‚ And yes, Eddie Redmayne is super cute πŸ˜‰

5. Lais says:

THIS LIST. I love it! I probably watched it all movies there, except for Raise Your Voice, although I just added it to my to-watch list.
    High school concept can be very cliche, but I think this is what makes it so funny! My favorites from your list would be Whatever it Takes, 10 Things I Hate About You and She’s All That.
    I’m also a fan of She’s The Man, although it is more recent than the ones you mentioned. I always laugh so much with that movie! Again, a cliche, but still enjoyable.

I know, they can be cliche and predictable and cheesy, but that only makes them so great πŸ™‚
      And YES, I love She’s The Man! I almost added it, but I was technically no longer in high school when it came out πŸ˜‰ But I still adore that movie!

6. Lauren @ Wonderless Reviews says:

Oh my god, Raise Your Voice!!! I ADORE that movie to pieces. I also love so many of the other ones you mentioned here!! I love that you mentioned Drive Me Crazy. I had such an obsession with Sabrina the Teenage Witch so I wanted to watch EVERYTHING that Melissa Joan Hart was in and I found that movie and like watched it so many times haha. What A Girl wants was on TV here the other night and it was so good rewatching it.

Oh yes, Sabrina the Teenage Witch! I loved that show so much and Melissa Joan Hart was the reason I watched Drive Me Crazy as well πŸ™‚ I must have seen it a hundred times but I haven’t in a long time because I still had it on VHS and never found the DVD. *goes of to research Drive Me Crazy DVD’s right now*

Yes, 10 Things is not only one of my favorite high school movies, but also one of my all-time favorites πŸ™‚ This list is definitely a trip down memory lane, just putting it together made me all nostalgic!

This is such a fun topic, I love it! Also, this made me so nostalgic ahah. I LOVE Mean Girls so much, it’s such a quotable movie and… I don’t know, ahah, it’s just one of these movies I love. Also, yay for Hilary Duff! I think she is great, and I love her in that new series, Younger. Are you watching it? πŸ™‚
    Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books recently posted…Since I’m an β€œHonorary” Aussie…. The Aussie Book Tag!My Profile

Thanks! Mean Girls is definitely great and I love that so many years later it is still so quotable πŸ™‚ That’s great that you love Hilary Duff too. I haven’t seen Younger yet, but I will definitely still check it out!

Definitely a nostalgic trip is this list! Lots of oldie favorites including “Raise Your Voice” and “What a Girl Wants.” (The latter of which I still watch today!) “Clueless” is cute (just recently watched that one) and “Mean Girls” is one I have as yet to see. *Oops!*

Fun list, Lindsey. Really enjoyed this cinematic trip down memory lane! πŸ™‚
    Rissi recently posted…The Crown (2016) – Netflix’s Sweeping Biographical Drama About Queen ElizabethMy Profile