Ten Books That Take Me Back To My School Days {Top Ten Tuesday}

170822 Back To School

Post header background: Designed by Creativeart / Freepik

Hi everybody, and welcome to a new Top Ten Tuesday!

Today’s topic is in honor of the new school year that’s about to start, so I thought I’d take the time to take a little trip down memory lane and tell you about some of the books that take me right back to my own school days. (Which weren’t THAT long ago, I promise…)

Maybe a little disclaimer before I start: these are not necessarily required reading books. In fact, I think most of them are books I read in my own time and had nothing to do with school. But they still bring back memories of my school days. More so than the books I read FOR SCHOOL, because honestly, I don’t remember much of those. And I have mixed opinions about required reading in general. I get that there are some books that are classics and must-reads, but I also think teaching kids the joy of reading is way more important and they should be given the option to read something THEY want as well.

With that said, let’s get into my list of books that take me back to school!

Early School years

Even though I’ve always been a reader, I don’t remember that much about the books I read as a little kid. However these definitely still stand out to me!

Goosebumps by R.L. Stine

Goosebumps by R.L. Stine

Yes, present-day Lindsey rarely reads horror of any kind because she’s a big scaredy-cat, but kid Lindsey was addicted to anything creepy and scary. Other than Goosebumps, I was also a big Fear Street fan and I LOVED a Dutch series called De Griezelbus (loosely translated as ‘The Spooky Bus’)

Animorphs by K.A. Applegate

Animorphs by K.A. Applegate

I also loved, loved, LOVED this series about a group of kids fighting aliens invading their planet by turning into animals (a gift given to them by another alien). I’m still peeved that these weren’t all translated into Dutch and I never got to finish the series. This disappointment did start me reading in English more though!

High School

I was a huge reader in high school, though my reading tastes were pretty different to what they are now. Nevertheless, I highly enjoyed all of these books.

A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks

A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks

I was a huge Nicholas Sparks fan in high school, but especially A Walk To Remember brings back all the memories.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

In high school I was also introduced to the wonderful world of fantasy when I saw the first Lord of the Rings movie and became obsessed. I then read all of the books, though it took me a loooong time.

Free Fall by Joyce Sweeney

Free Fall by Joyce Sweeney

This was by far my favorite book in high school. It’s a story about four boys who go exploring a cave together and end up lost inside. It’s a very emotional book about survival, but also friendship and well, we all know how much I’m a sucker for great friendships.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

The only required reading I actually liked and can still remember. I actually read this one during my summer, in advance of the coming school year and I still see myself sitting in the break room of my summer job, reading this book. A book that disturbed me a lot, but also held a lot of important messages.

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

Would I still love this now? I’m not sure, but I do remember I was obsessed with it in high school and used it for one of my ‘free choice’ book reports, where I vividly explained the differences between the book and the movie.

The Eagle and Jaguar series by Isabel Allende

City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende Kingdom of the Golden Dragon by Isabel Allende Forest of the Pygmies by Isabel Allende

This lesser-known series by Isabel Allende was one of my favorites in high school. It was my first YA fantasy read before I even knew the meaning of YA fantasy.

Any Nicci French

The Safe House by Nicci French The Memory Game by Nicci French Land of the Living by Nicci French

So you know how I’m alway saying I should be reading more thrillers? That’s because I used to read more of them and really loved them, so I have no idea why I stopped. But I especially loved the thriller series by Nicci French and could always expect one of their newest books as a birthday gift.

College days

In between high school and college I didn’t read a lot. Required reading in high school had kind of put me in a reading slump for a while. BUT THEN! I discovered the following magical world:

Harry Potter by J.K. ROWLING

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Β I still see myself sitting at lunch, ignoring everything around me and just reading these books. These books put a new spark in my love of reading, and so many years later, here I am! Still reading and loving books and even blogging about it πŸ™‚

WHAT BOOKS Remind you of your school days?
What are your thoughts on required reading?

46 thoughts on “Ten Books That Take Me Back To My School Days {Top Ten Tuesday}

1. Literary Feline says:

I came into the Lord of the Rings after the first movie, and loved the books. I did have to read The Lord of Flies for school and liked it. I hadn’t known about the Isabel Allende series you mention, but then, I don’t know too much about her books. The one I read, I didn’t care for all that much.

Thanks for sharing your list!

I had the same intro to LotR πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed Lord of the Flies as well! And yes, it’s definitely one of Isabel Allende’s lesser known books, but it’s my favorite of the ones I have read πŸ™‚

2. Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books says:

YES to Goosebumps and Fear Street!!! I was SO obsessed with Fear Street in middle school. It was basically what I was known for haha. And now I have a Fear Street Podcast, so not much has changed. I never did read those Animorphs books because those covers are SO CREEPY!! I just couldn’t get past it!! I also really like Lord of the Flies. And I didn’t like a lot of required reading in HS at ALL.
    Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday– Back to SchoolMy Profile

I hardly remember Lord of the Flies but I remember reading it. And Lord of the Rings of course, I was a big fantasy reader as a teen. A lot of the derivative fantasies too, some more memorable than others. πŸ™‚
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten Back To SchoolMy Profile

Haha yeah, I don’t remember that much about what actually happened or the characters of Lord of the Flies, but I do still have vivid memories of me reading it πŸ˜€ Lord of the Rings is definitely a great start to fantasy πŸ™‚

4. Maggie says:

Goosebumps!!!! I LOVE those books SO much! I’d seriously like to reread them at some point! I got my boys a box set and I think I’m going to get my hands on them before they do! Happy Tuesday! πŸ˜€
    Maggie recently posted…Required ReadingMy Profile

There are just so many classics (and well, books in general) to read them all (but of course we will always still try) πŸ™‚ Haha, that’s so great that you started the HP series with the final three books πŸ˜‰

5. Amber @ The Literary Phoenix says:

Oh boy.

Can we just take a moment to REALLY appreciate Animorphs? As an adult, I have tried SO MANY TIMES to describe the appeal of this series only to get the WEIRDEST looks. These (AND GOOSEBUMPS!) are books I’ve started re-collecting over the years so that when I have kids, they can read them. I am going to be an AWESOME parent, filling my kids’ heads with quality literature. XD

Yes! Animorphs sounds weird when you try to explain what it’s about, but it was so, so good! Haha, I love your plan and it does sound like you’ll be an awesome parent πŸ˜‰

I never finished Teh Hobbit so I should really do that some time πŸ™‚ I also really enjoyed The Horse Whisperer when I read it, but it’s been so long so I don’t know if I’d still lvoe it as much today.

6. ShootingStarsMag says:

Oh, I totally grew up on Harry Potter so that falls under most of my school career. LOL I enjoyed a lot of my required reading, to be honest, but I do think it can deter people from reading for fun if that’s all they are given – and I didn’t love them ALL, like Grapes of Wrath. No thanks.

-Lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Unraveling Oliver by Liz NugentMy Profile

7. Jo says:

Harry Potter was basically my childhood, so I guess it counts as a school read! The only one of the others I’ve read is Lord of The Flies which personally wasn’t for me, but I’m glad you liked it.
    Jo recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #121My Profile

I didn’t start reading Sparks until adulthood, but I’ll admit (lovable romantic cliches and all), I do enjoy them. My “rule” is to read whatever book is being adapted into a film. Though lately, that trend seems to be cooling off. I’ve not read the book nor seen the “A Walk to Remember” film. I’ve read all the spoilers and it’s so sad… I’ll have to be in the right mood to discover that story. πŸ™‚

Thanks, as always, for visiting Finding Wonderland, Lindsey.
    Rissi recently posted…Garage Sale Mystery: A Case of Murder (2017) – Explosive Final Fourth Mystery in Popular Hallmark SeriesMy Profile

It’s definitely a good rule to read the books that are being adapted into a film! πŸ™‚ A Walk To Remember is my absolute favorite Sparks, but I definitely agree that you have to be in the right mind to read/watch it.

ARE WE TWINS?! I read the Goosebumps series when I was little as well and LOVED THEM ALL SO MUCH, I was addicted to them. Now I’m not too into horror that much anymore haha. Also, Lord of the Flies was a required reading in school and it is one of the rare books I ended up loving just as well. It was SO disturbing for sure, but also great, in a way.
    A WALK TO REMEMBER. I still have all of the feelings, remembering this book. Broke my heart ahah.
    Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books recently posted…On traveling, writing, reading and my time without blogging…I’m BACK!My Profile

Haha, yay for booktwins! πŸ˜€ I’m the same with Goosebumps – I loved them so much as a kid, but as an adult I shy away from anything even remotely horror haha. And yeah, Lord of the Flies was so disturbing, but I did still enjoy the story and the messages behind it. And yeah, A Walk To Remember will always have a piece of my (broken because of it) heart πŸ™‚