Top Ten Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016 {Top Ten Tuesday}

161206-ttt-authors

Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is all about my favorite new-to-me authors I read for the first time in 2016. I feel like I’m just massively behind on my TBR, because I seem to discover new amazing authors all the time. And most of these authors are already quite popular with a ton of books out. But, even though I am behind, I kind of don’t mind because it means I can BINGE-READ! And if there’s one thing I love, it’s binge-reading series. Not having to wait years for the next installment = HEAVEN <3

Of course, I’m also discovering amazing debut authors every day, so there I will have to wait for new material along with the rest of the world. But you know what? That’s okay too! Because I can anticipate and obsess over them with my fellow book bloggers and that’s part of the fun!

So anyway, here are 10 of my favorite author discoveries in 2016!

V.E. Schwab

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab a-gathering-of-shadows-by-v-e-schwab

Why did I not start reading V.E. Schwab earlier? It’s a mystery to me because when I finally stopped procrastinating and read A Darker Shade of Magic I fell completely in love. I’m now binge-reading all her books, starting with A Gathering of Shadows. Next up: Vicious.

C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat Prince's Gambit by C.S. Pacat Kings Rising by C.S. Pacat

Well, if you’ve been following me a bit you may have heard me obsess about C.S. Pacat’s Captive Prince series a few times. I read this series in the beginning of the year and I FELL IN LOVE with the beautiful characters and their amazing development. This is slow-burn romance done right!

Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Cress by Marissa Meyer Winter by Marissa Meyer

I’m one of those people who was skeptical about The Lunar Chronicles (a cyborg Cinderella, really?) and I put off reading this series for the longest time. But then I finally gave in to the hype and I am so glad that I did. I loved the fairytale retelling aspects of each book, I loved the character development and I loved the worldbuilding. One of my favorite fictional squads of all time. I have yet to read Heartless, but I’m pretty sure I will love it (I hear it has lots of pastries…)

Adam Silvera

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

Adam Silvera only has one book out so far so I only read that one, More Happy Than Not. However, one book was enough to convert me in an Adam Silvera fangirl. More Happy Than Not was AMAZING! Raw, brutal and realistic, this book was unbelievably beautiful but also devastatingly heartbreaking. It stuck with me for a long time after reading it and that’s a sign that it was something really special. Can’t wait for the release of History Is All You Left Me!

Kasie West

the-fill-in-boyfriend-by-kasie-west p-s-i-like-you-by-kasie-west the-distance-between-us-by-kasie-west

If you want quick, fun and fluffy contemporaries that are definitely rom-com material, Kasie West is your girl! I have read three of her books this year and I have finished each of them in one sitting. She takes these romantic tropes like pen-pal romance or pretend-dates and puts her own spin on it and I can’t wait to read more.

Sally Green

Half Bad by Sally Green Half Wild by Sally Green Half Lost by Sally Green

Another author of which I binge-read an entire series this year. The Half Bad series has become one of my all-time favorites. It has a super unique and highly personal writing style which may not be everybodys’ cup of tea but I FREAKING LOVED IT. I’m definitely curious to see what she comes up with next. You know, once I’m over Half Lost because I’m still sobbing here…

Elle Kennedy

The Deal by Elle Kennedy him-by-sarina-bowen-and-elle-kennedy paper-princess-by-erin-watt

In 2016 I had my first introduction into the world of new adult with Elle Kennedy. I’ve since then read 3 of her Off-Campus series books, her collaboration with Sarina Bowen (Him and Us) and her collaboration with Jen Frederick under the pseudonym Erin Watt (The Royals series). It’s something completely different than what I usually read, but I will definitely check out anything else she writes!

Becky Albertalli

Simon vs the Home Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

OK, I’ve only read one book by Becky Albertalli this year (Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda) but it went down in history as ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES! This book was amazing, I read it in one sitting and ended up walking around with a huge smile on my face for days. It will be re-read on a regular basis. So obviously I can’t wait to read The Upside of Unrequited and I’m also very patiently waiting for her Leah-centric story!

Jay Kristoff

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Again, I only read the one book (Nevernight), but it also reached all-time -favorite status so I NEED MORE. Yes, I know I need to start with Illuminae and Gemina (his collaboration with Amie Kaufman) and believe me, they are top priority on my TBR list. The hype is a bit intimidating, but I’m sure I will absolutely love it as well!

Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

And hey, another series I binge-read this year! Binge-reading a series is always a good sign. Even if it was a slow start for me, I did end up falling head over heels for Kestrel and Arin and their story. I’ll definitely check out anything else Marie Rutkoski will write in the future!

Have you read any of these Authors (in 2016 or before)? Are they your favorites too?
Who else is on your list of favorite authors read in 2016?

52 thoughts on “Top Ten Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016 {Top Ten Tuesday}

Oh I’m glad I’m not the only one who hasn’t read Illuminae yet πŸ˜‰ But I’m definitely also planning on starting it soon. I totally understand you about there being so many books and so little time! πŸ™‚

I love binge reading too- nothing better than when all the books of a series are out and you can just binge them. The best! I’ve heard so many good things about Schwab, and Meyer too. Kasie West’s stuff looks fun too.

I didn’t think of doing Kristoff when I made my list, but I guess I could have since I read Illuminae this year. Great list!
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten New To Me AuthorsMy Profile

Thanks! I also bumped up Illuminae on my TBR after reading Nevernight πŸ™‚ Well, that and the hype πŸ˜‰
      Schwab, Meyer and Rutkoski are all great, I hope you’ll enjoy them when you get to them! I know how it feels, I have a ton of unread books on my shelf as well that I’m hoping to get to sometime soon πŸ™‚

2. Louise says:

Reading Half Bad, Captive Prince and finishing the Lunar Chronicles are all high on my plans for next year. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and Nevernight were two of my favourites from this year too.

I’m so glad you enjoyed Nevernight and Simon too πŸ™‚ And I’d definitely recommend Half Bad, Captive Prince and Lunar Chronicles as they are some of my all-time favorites πŸ˜‰

Oh if you loved the first book then I think you’ll love the rest of the series as well πŸ™‚ The Winner’s Trilogy seriously was amazing, I’m so glad I got to binge read it! I think binge reading always improves the reading experience πŸ™‚

3. Reg @ She Latitude says:

I didn’t make a list for this week’s TTT but I think mine would look largely similar! I also first read Jay Kristoff, Marie Rutkoski, Elle Kennedy, and Kasie West this year, though Kasie West’s book I haven’t finished and unfortunately might drop (oops, haha).

And I’m excited to hear that you enjoyed Captive Prince! It sounds amazing and quite underrated, I’ll have to check it out.

Glad you also enjoyed Jay Kristoff, Marie Rutkoski and Elle Kennedy πŸ™‚ Sorry that you didn’t enjoy Kasie West – I’ve been in a weird mood lately for super fluffy, easy contemporary reads (haven’t been able to really start a fantasy in a few weeks) so those Kasie West books really fit my mood πŸ˜‰ Captive Prince is one of my all-time favorites! I think it’s kind of hit or miss – people seem to either love or hate it – but I really loved it! The character development and the development of the relationships over the course of 3 books is amazing <3

Oh yes, the Lunar Chronicles are amazing! It has one of my favorite group of characters of all time πŸ™‚
      I’d definitely recommend More Happy Than Not! It’s super beautiful and will likely stay with you long after reading it.

Thanks! Elle Kennedy’s books are so much fun, I’m happy I discovered her this year πŸ™‚
      Hope you’ll enjoy the rest of the Half Bad series and More Happy Than Not – they’re two of my favorite reads this year.

Thanks! They definitely are some great authors! I loved Nevernight, even though it took me about 100 pages, but after that I was SO SOLD πŸ™‚ Hope you’ll enjoy it! I’ve only read the one book by V.E. Schwab so far, but I loved that one so I’m definitely binging all her other books soon.

Marie’s and Marissa’s remain on my list of authors I still need to read. Maybe 2017 will *finally* be THE year. πŸ™‚ I started one of Kasie’s earlier this year, and was really enjoying it! I had to put it aside to read other books, but I’m very much looking forward to finishing it and reading more by her.

Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Lindsey.
    Rissi recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday | Memorable Stories of 2016 (New-to-Me Authors)My Profile

Oh, I do hope you’ll enjoy Marie’s and Marissa’s books πŸ™‚ Kasie West has some super adorable books! They’re mostly for when you’re specifically in the mood for that type of fluffy rom-com books, but they’re so great πŸ™‚ Hope you’ll love them!

They are amazing <3 More Happy Than Not was amazing though - brutal and heartbreaking but so beautiful. But it's totally understandable if it's not your usual genre! I do hope that if you ever decide to pick it up, you'll love it πŸ™‚

Oh, the Captive Prince series, More Happy Than Not and Simon were some of my favorite reads of the year! P.S. I Like You was also a super fun, cute and fluffy stroy πŸ™‚ Hope you’ll enjoy them!

5. Adalyn says:

I love Marissa Meyer so much! <3 I went to one of her book signings earlier this year, and she's just the sweetest! Unpopular opinion, but I did not like Nevernight at all, or Illuminae for that matter either. I really want to read The Winner's Curse series though!

Oh that’s so great that you got to meet Marissa meyer in person! πŸ™‚
      I can totally understand about Nevernight though! I ended up loving it but I was seriously considering DNF’ing it for the first 100 pages or so. The writing style was definitely hit or miss. I haven’t read Illuminae yet so I can’t say, but I hope to read it soon though.
      The Winner’s Curse trilogy was great, I hope you’ll enjoy it!

Exactly! I’m glad I ended up giving The Lunar Chronicles a try πŸ™‚ And I’m super curious about Heartless.
      Oh, More Happy Than Not and Simon were both absolutely amazing, I hope you’ll enjoy them! πŸ™‚

Thanks Marie! Yes, ADSOM is sooo good – I’m reading A Gathering of Shadows now and then I’m all ready for the last book πŸ™‚
      Aww, I’m sorry about More Happy Than Not! It broke me too, but it’s so beautiful that it stuck with me for a long time… I’m both eager and a bit scared to read his next book, haha πŸ™‚

6. Cait @ Paper Fury says:

THIS LIST IS SO AMAZING I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO FLAIL OVER FIRST!! I absolutely freaking adore the Half Bad books. <3 They broke my heart but they are also the most perfect tortured tragic cinnamon roll of a trilogy and GAWSH I NEED TO CRY AGAIN.? I just borrowed out Paper Princess from the library today and I'm really excited to try it! And I really want to read Captive Prince since I've been getting into more adult fantasy lately. And afjdsklafd the Lunar Chronicles are magnificent. AND NEVERNIGHT WAS BRILLIANT. Although I totally admit my favourite character is Mister Kindly??? I need a cat like that.? (Still crying over you-know-who though…omg. What is it with authors and their joy in destroying us?)

SO BASICALLY BEST LIST EVER. I'm so glad you've found these spectacular authors!!
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…Authors I Only Just Discovered in 2016 (Not Because I’m Late Obviously, Because Wizards Are Never Late)My Profile

Ah, thanks and yay for flailing! The Half Bad books are so amazing! I cried my eyes out at the end there but even though it broke me I still love it so <3 Hope you'll enjoy Paper Princess! It's definitely a flawed series, but it's addictive and full of D.R.A.M.A.! I'm a major Captive Prince fangirl! Actually, I'm thinking it's time for a re-read πŸ™‚ Same with Lunar Chronicles. And Nevernight. Gah, who has time for re-reads? I want to re-read everything AND read new things too πŸ™‚ Mister Kindly was definitely one of the best things, if not THE BEST, in this series! And you-know-who πŸ™ I'm still not over it - in fact, I'm still in the denial phase πŸ˜‰