‘Tis The Season! Top Halloween Movies {Top Ten Tuesday}

161025-ttt-halloween-movies

Today’s top ten is a Halloween freebie! And for this topic, I’d like to talk about something other than books. One, because I’m already doing a Halloween readathon, so if you’re interested in books to get in the Halloween spirit, I suggest checking out my Halloween readathon TBR.

Secondly, if there is one thing I love to do on Halloween, it’s holding a movie marathon. So why not talk about movies?

Now, it goes without saying that all the classic slasher movies such as Halloween (duh) and Nightmare on Elm Street and creepy horror movies such as Blair Witch Project and The Ring are great Halloween movies. However, even though I used to be obsessed with these kinds of movies, nowadays I find myself leaning more towards the magical movies, the paranormal movies and the kooky ones with a bit of dark humor.

So though I know this is by no means complete and this list could easily be five times as big – still I give you the ten movies I love most to (re)watch around Halloween:

Hocus Pocus

hocus-pocusCome on, this is a classic! To this day, it is still hands down my all-time favorite Halloween movie. I can watch this one all year-long, every year!

hocus pocus

Scream

screamIf there is one slasher series that I love the most, it is this series. When I was in my horror-movie-obsessed phase, I rewatched all these movies religiously. They have just a dash of dark humor and are deliciously meta.

scream-neve

Hotel Transylvania

hotel-transylvaniaAh, I love this movie! I love everything about it. Just look at this cute little bat face – how could you not fall in love?

hotel-transylvania2

The Craft

the-craft-movie-poster-1996Yes, this is still my favorite creepy witch movie. It’s been too long since I watched it so maybe this is the year I’ll add it to the rewatch pile!

the-craft

The Addams Family

the-addams-family-poster Come on, sing it with me: they’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky, they’re all together ooky, the Addams family!

addams-family

Idle Hands

idle_hands_posterMaybe the most gory movie on the list, but it’s another one of my all-time favorites. It has such dark humor, it features a super young Devon Sawa, Jessica Alba and Seth Green and has a cameo performance by The Offspring, who may or may not get killed off. I love this so much more than I should.

idle-hands

Harry Potter

prisoner-of-azkaban-theatrical-poster-2Ok, I can pretty much marathon these movies all year long, but something about Halloween always brings them back to mind. I feel like Prisoner of Azkaban especially has the biggest Halloween-vibe going on of all the movies.

harry-potter-prisoner-of-azkaban

Ghostbusters

ghostbusters-movie-posterIf there’s something strange in your neighbourhood, who you call? I haven’t seen the remake yet, so maybe that’s one to watch this year (Have you seen it yet? What did you think?), but the original will always be a classic.

ghostbusters

Practical Magic

practical-magic-movie-posterThis one may not be super scary or creepy, but it’s still one of my favorite magical, witchy movies. A fun movie to rewatch in October!

practical-magic

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

buffy_movieHi, I’m Lindsey and I’m addicted to the Buffy the Vampire tv show. I’ve watched every episode multiple times and I even enjoy the original movie in all its’ creepy, campy and funny glory!

buffy_movie

What are some of your favorite Halloween movies?
Do you tend to go more for the scary slashers or the magically kooky ones?

28 thoughts on “‘Tis The Season! Top Halloween Movies {Top Ten Tuesday}

1. Chrissi Reads says:

I’ve actually watched quite a few of these which surprises me as I’m not really a horror fan. You can’t beat a bit of Hocus Pocus though. I also recently watched Practical Magic! I really enjoyed it. I remember being creeped out by The Craft when I was younger. Great list!

I’m not that much of a horror fan either! I had a ‘phase’ in highschool where I did watch horror movies all the time, but now not so much anymore πŸ™‚ I prefer the funny and magical Halloween movies. And I totally agree, you can’t beat Hocus Pocus πŸ˜‰

I go more for the kooky or scary ones but not the outright horror ones, if that makes sense, although in high school yeah we’d all get together and watch the slasher flicks at parties and stuff lol. Scream is awesome, I agree, and I haven’t seen Practical Magic but it does look fun. πŸ™‚
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten Halloween FreebieMy Profile

3. Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books says:

I LOVE your choices!! I didn’t know ANYONE who liked Hocus Pocus (besides myself) before I started blogging. I’m glad it’s become so popular though because it SO deserves it!! I also loved Idle Hands (mostly bc DEVON SAWA!!!!). And The Craft will always be one of my faves for any time of year.

I just watched the new Ghostbusters this weekend!! It was funny. It was a remake though, so it kind of didn’t live up to the original movies. BUT Leslie Jones is so damn funny and that makes it worth trying!!
    Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday- DIY Halloween CostumesMy Profile

Thanks! Hocus Pocus does deserve all the love! And yes, I also mostly watched Idle Hands because of Devon Sawa πŸ™‚ And Seth Green, I used to have a small crush on Seth Green πŸ˜‰ I’m definitely thinking of adding the Ghostbusters remake to the movie-list this year. Or maybe I’ll just do both the original AND the remake if I can’t choose πŸ™‚

4. Lori says:

I love so many of these! Hocus Pocus was amazing, but I haven’t seen it since I was a kid. I need to watch it again. I love the HP movies, obviously. Ghostbusters, Scream, and The Craft are so good too. I adored the Buffy movie and then the TV show when I was younger. I was a huge Buffy fan!
    My Top Ten

Hocus Pocus is one of those movies I rewatch almost every Halloween πŸ˜‰ I was a huge Buffy fan too! Still am, though it’s about time for another rewatch of all seasons (but first I must finish Gilmore Girls)

5. Kate @ Midnight Book Girl says:

I love your pics (and of course I’ve seen them all because I LOVE Halloweenesque movies).

I also did see the new Ghostbusters, and it was a lot of fun (and even had a few scares in it). I may have to rent it too, since it’s been awhile since I saw it in the theaters.

Hotel Transylvania is so much fun, I hope you’ll enjoy it!! I still need to watch the second one so that’s on the to-watch list as well πŸ™‚
      And yes, of course Harry Potter can, no should, be watched every single day πŸ˜‰

6. Cait @ Paper Fury says:

Ahhh I haven’t seen ANY OF THESE AT ALL. THE SHAME. ? Oh well, I mean, I’ve seen HP3, but that’s it (I really need to fix that soon!) and I love the Addam’s familiy old black and white TV show. I used to watch them quite a lot and laugh.? Morbid humour can be so perfect sometimes. I also love watching Supernatural, that creeps me out so much sometimes!

I love morbid humour! So much more than horror where it’s all about gore and scares. And Supernatural is amazing! I love that show, though I’m about a full season behind so I have to catch up πŸ™‚