Random Recommendation Extravaganza {Top Ten Tuesday}

161011-ttt-recommendations

This weeks’ Top Ten Tuesday is all about recommendations! Honestly, pretty much all books I read are based on recommendations and reviews. If a fellow blogger gave a good review on a book and it sounds like a book for me, I’ll give it a try. I’m pretty boring like that. I am trying to pick up more books on a whim though. It’s just, you know, kinda scary.

ANYWAY, back to recommendations! Yes, recommendations are good. So here are a few of my super random book recommendations based on super random things! (AKA my excuse to fangirl about some of my latest faves):

If you like summer and bucket lists

you’ll like Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

I think Since You’ve Been Gone is my favorite Morgan Matson book to date. It has a super relatable introverted main character, a lot of focus on friendship, summer adventures and a bucket list. All things I love and all things that were AMAZING in this book!

If you like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

you’ll like More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

Aww man, this book broke me a little bit. So of course I’m telling you to read it. It’s real, it’s gritty and it poses some important questions on issues such as homophobia, identity and self-acceptance.

If you like Oreos and penpal romances

you’ll like Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Simon vs the Home Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Possible side-effects of reading this book are: not being able to wipe that smile of your face for a week, an addiction to Oreos, regular awwwing because of cuteness overload and listening to Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith on repeat.

if you like quirky characters bonding over music

you’ll like P.S. I Like You by Kasie West

p-s-i-like-you-by-kasie-west

P.S. I Like You was my first Kasie West and I fell in love. It reminded me a bit of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda because of the penpal romance, but it really stands on its’ own because of all the talk about music and lyrics. I was sorry the bands mentioned were fictional, but the love for music and the way music helps people connect, was so real to me.

If you like anti-heroes and outcasts

you’ll like the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

This duology is one of my all-time favorites in the history of ever, and the main reason for that are the 6 amazing main characters. The story of 6 thieves, thugs and outcasts taking on an impossible heist is super addictive and the personalities of the crew and their chemistry as a team is what makes this story unforgettable.

If you like gorgeous atmospheric writing

you’ll like the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Once you start reading, time just doesn’t apply anymore. You go in at some place and time, but you can’t be sure when and where you may emerge. The writing is completely unique and lyrical and just completely breath-takingly beautiful.

If you like fantasy and soap operas

you’ll like the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes

falling-kingdoms-by-morgan-rhodes

I’ve never read a series that gave me such a soapy feeling, and I mean that in a good way! This fantasy series is so action-packed and filled with drama and intrigue it will have your head spinning! Every other page basically has someone being betrayed, murdered, discovering magic, marrying someone they hate, falling in love, getting kidnapped, going on a quest, pregnant, related to someone they didn’t expect, not related to someone they did expect, … it’s crazy.

if you like sexy LGBTQ ‘friends to more’ romance

you’ll like the him series by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

him-by-sarina-bowen-and-elle-kennedy us-by-sarina-bowen-and-elle-kennedy

I’m on a new adult roll and loving it! This m/m romance was amazing and steamy and sexy and funny and just so good! Prepare to fall in love with Jamie and Wes, two best friends who may or may not be something more. Also prepare to have some difficulty saying goodbye to these two guys and picking up Us immediately after finishing Him.

If you like wanderlust and seeing the world

you’ll like Wanderlost by Jen Malone

Wanderlost by Jen Malone

This book will bring you some major wanderlust! The main character Aubree,Β  who has never even left her home state, ends up leading a group of senior citizens on a tour across Europe. You will wish you were on this tour with her, even if you are not a senior citizen and she’s actually not that good a guide. But the sights! Amsterdam, Vienna, Prague, Venice, Cinque Terre… It all sounds beautiful and will make you want to hop on a plane right away!

If you like anastasia and tsarist russia

you’ll like The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye

The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

This book gets major points from me for being a fantasy set in Tsarist Russia. I’ve been in love with that country and period since watching Anastasia and this book solidified that love for me. Two enchanters in a contest that has Saint Petersburg as a lovely background. The winner will become the Imperial Enchanter. The loser will not survive. A high stakes game with a stunning setting: that’s what makes this book a must-read!

have you read any of these books? If yes, do you agree with the recommendation? If Not, are there any books on this list that you want to add to your TBR?

30 thoughts on “Random Recommendation Extravaganza {Top Ten Tuesday}

Thanks! Yes, Since You’ve Been Gone and PS I Like You are really fun summer reads! And I definitely recommedn the Six of Crows duology! It’s super hyped, but I think it’s deserving of all the hype πŸ™‚

1. Grace says:

Love this!! Totally agree with you on Sion, PS I Like You and Him/Us. I still need to read Since You’e Been Gone, More Happy Than Not and Six of Crows, which I own. Great list!!

Thanks! I really enjoyed Since You’ve Been Gone, More Happy Than Not and Six of Crows, so I hope you’ll enjoy them! And yes, it seems like I can never fangirl enough about Simon, PS I Like You and Him/Us πŸ™‚

Thanks! I should really pick up more books on a whim, but there are still so many recommended books out there as well πŸ™‚ Hope you’ll enjoy Simon (it’s one of my all-time favorites) and Wanderlost (such a fun summery travel book)!

2. Tara says:

I am going to check out The Falling Kingdom. I have been in a serious adult fantasy slump since The Way of Shadows series ended and that was years ago! Thanks!

Great, I hope you’ll enjoy it and it can help get you out of your reading slump! Falling Kingdoms is more YA fantasy though, so if you prefer adult fantasy it may not be your cup of tea… But it could be perfect to help you get out of the slump either way πŸ™‚

3. Cait @ Paper Fury says:

Oh yesss, I LOVE SO MANY OF THESE! And I 100% blame Anastasia for my addiction to all things Russian YA. XD And I also adore Simons (SO CUTE) and Since You’ve Been Gone, and Six of Crows. <3 AND THE RAVEN CYCLE IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE SERIES OF EVER. So basically this post is full of intense win and I shall just sit here flailing wildly in the background. Don't mind me.
    ohhh, and why haven't I read More Happy Than Not, yet?!? I seriously need to!
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…Are You A Peer Pressured Reader? (Ft. 10 Books I Read Because I Didn’t Want To Be That Cat That Curiosity Killed #Sensible)My Profile

Great, someone who can flail with me on ALL THESE BOOKS πŸ™‚ I am so happy I read the Raven Cycle – I was very late to the party in reading them, but they turned out to be one of my all-time favorite series now! And Six of Crows is amazing! And yes, Anastasia made me fall in love with Russian YA as well! Also, More Happy Than Not was amazing so I highly recommend it. It may have broken me a little bit, but it was still so amazing!

Oh I hope you’ll enjoy the Raven King! I know I read it super slowly, because I didn’t want it to be over πŸ™‚
      Falling Kingdoms is definitely a fun read – it’s not without its’ issues, but I still really like reading these books.
      It definitely sounds like a good time to rewatch Anastasia. I rewatched it a few months ago and I still loved it just as much. And I actually still knew the words to most of the songs πŸ˜‰

P.S. I Like You was my first Kasie West and I fell in love – hope to read more by her soon πŸ™‚ Hope you’ll enjoy The Crown’s Game! I loved it but I’ll definitely need a re-read as well before the sequel comes out.

Yes, recommendations are great! Most of the time I also really enjoy the books that were recommended, but of course tastes are still different so it’s not always the case. I do hope you’ll enjoy Six of Crows, it’s one of my favorites πŸ™‚

4. Bri @ Transported By Books says:

So many of these. Although I’m still extremely bitter that Wanderlost is still not available at my library but I’m now too stubborn to buy and it because it will obviously not be my cup of tea per and then as soon as I finish it then I’ll get some notification that it’s available. I’m also definitely going to have to check out The Him series soon because I keep reading such good reviews!

I know the feeling! If I’m not sure a book will be my cup of tea, it’s getting harder and harder to convince myself to spend money on them. I guess that’s why I usually only buy books based on recommendations, then at least the chances I’ll like it are a bit higher than if I just pick one up on a whim. But still, there’s always the chance… I really loved Wanderlost but it did have some issues, so perhaps it is better to wait for the library book?
      I’m pretty new to New Adult, but I did really love the Him series – mostly because of the two great main characters πŸ™‚

PS I Like You and Wanderlost are both really fun and quick reads πŸ™‚ hope you’ll enjoy them!
      It’s been a while since I’ve watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind so I would have to rewatch to see which one I liked better. But I’m still kind of processing More Happy Than Not, so maybe I’ll just wait a bit to not have too much heartbreak at once πŸ˜‰

5. Prabhleen says:

Great post!❀️ I have read the Raven boys and it is easily one of my favourite books of this year. Seriously all the love to it. Plus Ronan? enough said. I have also read the crown’s game but it was soooo similar to the night circus I practically rolled my eyes a million times while reading. Since you’ve been gone is also great but I had a few issues with it?
    Prabhleen recently posted…WHY READING BOOKS IS TOUGH.#STRUGGLESMy Profile

Thanks! YES, The Raven Boys is one of my favorite books I read this year as well πŸ™‚ Of course, Ronan has a lot to do with that πŸ˜‰
      I haven’t read The Night Circus, but it’s definitely on my TBR. I heard a lot of great things about it though, so maybe once I read it I will not like The Crown’s Game as much anymore. Still looking forward to reading it though πŸ™‚

OhMyGosh! This list makes me happy! SO many books on this list I’ve been anticipating. Morgan’s I hear tell is one of her best; Six of Crows is one I’ve recently been eyeing; Kasie’s are always books featuring covers that instantly put a smile on my face; and I’m interesting in Jen Malone’s debut as well!

GREAT list, Lindsey. Thanks for making my want to add to my TBR! πŸ˜‰ And thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland.
    Rissi recently posted…Serendipity (2001) – A Whimsical RomCom about DestinyMy Profile