Underrated Books: They Need Some Loving Too! {Top Ten Tuesday}

underrated

As hosted by The Broke & The Bookish

Today I’d like to talk to you about some books I enjoyed that I feel are rather underrated.

Now, the original prompt was to check Goodreads for books I read that had under 2.000 ratings. However, I kind of only had about 7 of those and most were because they were Dutch books so they just have less ratings. So I am aware that yes, I read too much based on reviews and not enough on a whim. I’m working on that.

However, I do feel like I love a few books that I feel are underrated. Not necessarily because they have a low amount of ratings on Goodreads, but just because I don’t hear people talking about them as much. There is no big fandom, while I think there should be.

So please allow me to introduce you to some books I think are hidden gems:

The Elemental trilogy by Sherry Thomas

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas

I absolutely ADORE this series, but I hardly ever hear anyone else talking about it. There’s no fanart anywhere and I feel like this is such a pity as this series is so magical and whimsical and I loved every minute of it.

The Eagle and Jaguar trilogy by Isabel Allende

City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende Kingdom of the Golden Dragon by Isabel Allende Forest of the Pygmies by Isabel Allende

To be fair, this series is over ten years old and I probably haven’t read it in almost that time. But it was one of my favorite YA book series when I was actually still a young adult myself and I loved it so much. So I think it deserves a bit more attention still.

The Captive Prince trilogy by C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat Prince's Gambit by C.S. Pacat Kings Rising by C.S. Pacat

Ok,maybe this one is strecthing it a bit, as it has quite some hype already. But… I still don’t think it’s enough. More people should be reading this and talking about this. I will never have enough Damen and Laurent fanart. Never, I tell you!

The Tiger Orchard / Free Fall by Joyce Sweeney

Free Fall by Joyce Sweeney The Tiger Orchard by Joyce Sweeney

Again, I LOVED these books back in my young adult days (she says fondly and nostalgically, as if she’s already 60 years old. I’m not though, I promise!). These books were published quite some years ago, but I feel like they would have a lot more hype and ratings if they had been published nowadays, when YA is more popular.

Any Nicci French book

The Safe House by Nicci French The Memory Game by Nicci French Land of the Living by Nicci French

I thought these authors (yes two – Nicci French is actually two people) were rather popular, but I never hear anyone in the book blogging community talk about them. I thought they were some of the best thriller authors out there, and I think it’s weird that I don’t hear about them as much.

The Splintered trilogy by A.G. Howard

Splintered by A.G. Howard Unhinged by A.G. Howard Ensnared by A.G. Howard

This Alice in Wonderland retelling is creepy and delicious (just take a look at those gorgeous covers) and I just NEED MORE FANART.

The Razorland series by Ann Aguirre

Enclave by Ann Aguirre Outpost by Ann Aguirre Horde by Ann Aguirre

I’m not usually a fan of zombie novels, but this series was just soo good. It was edge-of-your-seat, action-packed, gorey fun and I loved every minute of it. So why don’t more people talk about this series?

The Trylle series by Amanda Hocking

Switched by Amanda Hocking Torn by Amanda Hocking Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Just like with zombies, I never thought I’d enjoy a book about trolls. But guess what? I totally did. And then I wanted to talk about it and found that nobody else really does. I need fanart people! Why is there no fanart?

What are some books you feel are underrated and should have more people talking about them? have you read any of the books on my list? If so, what did you think about them?

31 thoughts on “Underrated Books: They Need Some Loving Too! {Top Ten Tuesday}

1. Jolien @ The Fictional Reader says:

I really enjoyed Trylle too! Have you read her Kanin Chronicles trilogy? And I really enjoyed the Captive Prince trilogy too. I’ve never heard of the Eagle and Jaguar trilogy, but I’ll definitely look it up now.

Great post! πŸ™‚

I have only read the Trylle series so far. What did you think of the Kanin Chronicles? I definitely want to give it a try soon. Glad you enjoyed Captive Prince too! The Eagle and Jaguar trilogy was a favorite of mine, but it’s been a while since then so I should re-read it again soon πŸ™‚

2. Veronika Γ‰les says:

I love the Captive Prince trilogy SO MUCH. I picked it up on a whim, because my friend was reading the books all day, all night – which like, NEVER happens to her, so I was intrigued. I wish more people would talk about it on their blogs – I don’t only follow YA blogs, yet I’ve never seen anyone mention these novels. Razorland was SO GOOD too, I really enjoy Ann Aguirre’s writing and I wish more people would read her works.
    I can’t wait to read Splintered – it sounds so freaking good. The Trylle trilogies covers look so pretty, but I have pretty bad memories about one of Hocking’s book, so I’m not sure I’ll ever read them.
    Wonderful list!
    My TTT

So glad you love the Captive Prince trilogy as well! I don’t hear so many people talking about it either, which is weird since I talk about it all the time myself πŸ™‚ I know Ann Aguirre has a lot of books out, but I’ve unfortunately only read the Razorland trilogy so I definitely should check out some of her other books!

Thanks! I hope you’ll enjoy the Elemental trilogy if you choose to give it a try! And I know how you feel with not having read enough underrated books haha, so I’ll definitely check out your list too πŸ™‚

3. Cori says:

I already know you like the Captive Prince trilogy, but I have this terrible problem of freaking out EVERY time I see it because I’m that obsessed with it. More people need to read it and love it and obsess over it. And I’m so with you, there is NEVER enough fanart. I have too much of it saved… Oops.

Also those covers of the Elemental Trilogy are super pretty! I would check them out solely for that!

4. Lizzy says:

I have Splintered on hold at my library! I’ve read mixed reviews on it but, um, that COVER. So I have to try myself, because obviously I’m a completely superficial book lover. Haha!

I know, those covers are so gorgeous! Indeed, not everybody loves these books but I do recommend giving them a try. Especially book one, which I thought was the best πŸ™‚

I have just read the Splintered series -well, the first book for now only- and I admit, it’s creepy yet brilliant, and those covers make me want to have all the fanarts in the world about it. Glad to hear you love this series so much, I have to read the next book soon!

I loved the first book in this series the most, but the rest was pretty good too! I love the creepiness of Wonderland so much in these books. Hope you’ll enjoy the rest of the series πŸ™‚

6. Annemieke says:

The Elemental trilogy is still on my list. I love those covers by the way. And I am hoping to get to Splintered during the make me read it read-a-thon. πŸ™‚

7. Got My Book says:

I have The Elemental Trilogy on my list of books I need to go back and review now that I am a blogger. So they will be getting a bit more love in the future.

Check out My TTT (guest hosted by lilybloombooks)

8. Lauren @ Wonderless Reviews says:

I’ve heard lots of mixed things about the Captive Prince series so I REALLY want to read it because I’m super curious, haha. I also really want to read Splintered and Razorland. I can’t believe Captive Prince and Splintered have under 2k ratings!! Especially considering how popular they are.

I think the Captive Prince series is one of those series that you either love or hate and I really, really LOVED it πŸ™‚ I didn’t have enough books read on Goodreads with under 2000 ratings, so I just spotlighted the books that I FELT like they deserved some more love. And since I adore those series, I just want them to have some more love (even though they are doing ok already), haha πŸ™‚